Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ch. 6: The Shoemaker (p. 41-52)

Thoughts, Vocab, Explanations: 

  •  provender (p. 50)--food
  • sagacity (p. 50)--wisdom

Takeaways: 

I had a strange experience reading this chapter; a lot of the exchange between Miss Manette and her father felt like it should be very melodramatic (her words to him are more or less in verse--not at all how people really speak) but at the same time I found myself really moved.  (Hence the lack of my usual chatter above.)  I think that might have to do with how visual Dickens is here--I could picture Monsieur Manette, skin and clothes aged to the same yellow hue, hunched over his workbench.  I could picture his daughter slowly moving toward him, and the expression their two faces shared.  I suppose everything in Dickens is heightened--the names, the characterization, the dialogue--but somehow it's easier to suspend disbelief for comedy than for tragedy.  (I have a feeling the audiences of the time would have found this easier to roll with; today, "melodrama" is used as an insult, but it was an extremely popular genre for a long time.  These days, we usually mix in a fair amount of sex and violence, and often some deliberate camp, and call it "soapy.")

No comments:

Post a Comment